Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My newest hobby!

So, I've taken on a new hobby....biking! You might find yourself thinking "where in the world would you get the idea to do that?" Let me explain. Best Buy has started becoming a lot more involved in community events, and well....I find myself volunteering. Hey, it beats going to work, right? So, when Kelsie found out about this Womens only bike-a-thon we thought "sure, why not?" I would like to think that I'm a reasonable person and I'm sure somewhere in my mind the thought "I haven't even sat on a bike for over 10 years" popped up, but it didn't. "Sure, I'll do it" is what I found my lips saying. Well, we found out the SHORTEST distance was 36 miles. Now, those of you that know I'm a genius when it comes to geography realize that I had no idea just exactly how long 36 miles was! I thought "I bet from Best Buy to Smithfield is at least 20 miles, so it shouldn't be that bad!" WRONG!!!!!!!!!! (That's only 6 miles!). So, once I was committed I found the dreadfull map that opened my eyes to just exactly how long 36 miles was! And that was the shortest distance! So, I decided I must begin training (this thought appeared to me a week before the race....convenient, I know!) So, because I don't even own a bike I called my dad to see if I could keep his bike at my house so I could ride whenever possible. His exact words to me were "you can borrow my bike, but you aren't riding 36 miles!" I said "no dad, I really am riding 36 miles!" He said, "Again, you can borrow my bike but you WON'T ride 36 miles." This was not a matter of him giving me permission to ride that far, it was simply that he didn't think I could do it! :) Let the training begin! So, two of my fabulous friends from work, Kelsie and Cami biked the 36 miles with me and we now have a bond that can never be broken! We totally did it! We finished the race (oh wait, sorry Cami...."non competitive" bike-a-thon). I must say, I'm pretty dang proud of myself! The race took us from Wellsville through Mendon, up around Benson, back through Logan, Mendon again, and ended back in Wellsville. For someone who wasn't even sure she remembered how to ride a bike (BTW: it's true, once you learn, you never forget!) I was amazed that we finished! Me and Cami decided we are going to do it again next year, but I think we will shoot for the 60 mile race. Kelsie decided this bike thing just wasn't for her. Kelsie, you need a lighter bike!!!


Kelsie, Me and Cami.
This was our first "break stop". This guy was dressed up so we took the photo opp.! Yes, that's right, we are in full spandex!! Don't judge us!
We had to take a "check the map" break. I think we were by Cutler Dam here.
Cami had the lightest bike, so she got to have the "Cool Runnings" moment at the end!

13 comments:

Stacey Irwin said...

GO Girl GO! I am so impressed. I bet you made Joel eat his words! HOw are your Hammi's? and how sore was your butt? ( a week isn't long enough to prepare for sore muscles is it?) That sounds like so much fun! Love the spandex look darling!!!!

Hobbs Family said...

This makes me miss work!! I love the shirts!! You look way hot in you helmet I must say...awesome job.

Amber Culp Family said...

Very impressed! Tour de France, here you come!

Soto family said...

I am soooo oproud of you SIS! You inspired me so much that I ran out and jumped on Marki's bike to go for a bike ride of my own. The chain fell off at the end of the driveway, so I went and put it back in the bike rack. Didn't get far.

Stacey Crandall said...

WOW! I am so proud of you. Keep it up. What a great thing for you to do. I am most pleased that you proved your dad wrong. I am proud!!!

Melissa Hernandez said...

You go, it seems everyone is doing marathons, and bikeathons lately, and man I am feeling like a lazy butt!!!

The Allen Family said...

Congratulations! What an awesome accomplishment.

Hanne and Fam said...

Wow! 36 miles! I don't think I could ever do that! You are amazing!

The Robbins said...

WOW. Was it like killer? I think if I didn't train for it, it'd be killer. I am impressed. I wish I could have done it with you, but I don't think I could have made it that far. But it inspired me while I was reading your blog and looking at the pics...

The Wolfley Family said...

Amy -- you rock!

Amber said...

I must say - I didn't think you'd finish it either. Way to go! You guys look great. Thanks for posting the spandex pictures - I was really dying to see that!! Honestly, that would be enough to keep me from doing the race. I don't even want to see myself in spandex!

Hayley said...

I am so proud of you too. Maybe we should buy spandex and race together sometime.

Jayne & McKay said...

Amy! You slay me! That is hilarious! Nice job on the race you guys are awesome! But do you wish you had a butt pillow, cause I bet your feeling it today! :) Hope it all turned out way great! I hope work is good and I'm sure you're doing so great and really there's never enough time, just fake it til you make it! ;) haha