Saturday, March 14, 2009

Feeling Frumpy

So, here's the deal! I have never been one of those size 2 girls that always looks in the mirror and says "Oh, I'm so fat!", but I've also never been one of those girls that really ever had to worry about my weight before....until now! You know, you give a kid room and board for 9 months and they just make a wreck of the place (Thanks a lot Simon!!). So, ever since Simon was born I've been struggling with my own self image. I shall call this term "frumpy". You know, when you go through your entire wardrobe and nothing looks good, you settle for a comfy pair of "jammy-pants" and t-shirt. So, yes....somedays I feel like this:


But, I really really really really want to feel like this:


So, I'm finally going to do something about it! Hopefully by posting this you can all keep me focused! So, I'm on day 2 (baby steps) of no soda and I've started running a couple nights a week (very late at night when no one can see how slow and out of shape I am). I also started working out in my basement to this incredibly awesome dvd. I know, some of you say "why don't you just go to the gym?". Lets be honest here. You know on a workout dvd how they have that one person that is demonstrating how to do the "handicap/elderly" level?? You know, instead of full leg kicks, they show you small toe taps? Ya, that level kicks my ass! So there is no way I'm going to embarrass myself like that in a gym. Plus, I have recently discovered in the confines of my own basement that I uh....well....um....lets just say I focus so hard on some muscles that I completly forget about other muscles.....


So, you see why it's a better decision for me to workout at home! :) Did I really just share that? Um, yes I did! Anyway, so this new DVD is amazing and if you want a great work out you should check it out!

It's called "The Biggest Loser/ Cardio Max". The thing I love the most about it is there aren't a bunch of ridiculously skinny girls doing the workouts! They are bigger, out of shape people that are just in the same boat as me and I feel better about myself (and more motivated!). So, wish me luck in my journey to a better self image! If you see me drinking a soda please throw it away for me! :)


11 comments:

Stacey Irwin said...

I wish I lived closer so we could work out together! I'm in the same boat! Trying to do the same thing! I have Jillian Micheals she is pretty good and also seems to call me out when I'm not giving it my all. yeah.. I'm on level one .. barely! I really want the B.L DVD tho' it looks like a good one.

I think you are definetly NOT Frumpy!I would trade places with you in a heart beat!

You should also Check out 50 million pound challenge. A good place to keep track of what your doing and the changes made. It can also help with eating etc? Paul and I are on that. And you can totally join our team!

GOOD luck! Go fight WIN!!
YOU CAN DO IT!

Tami said...

I loved your post. Good luck on your journey.

Melissa Hernandez said...

Oh, I can totally relate to the frumpyness. Between having Isabella and then having abdominal surgery 4 months later my stomach looked like (well, you know after bread rises and then you punch it down and it jus sinks and gets all wrinkly)...pretty much in a nutshell that's what my belly looked like. The only reason it still doesn't look like that is because now it looks like a basketball, but can I just say I dread in 3 months thinking about trying to fit back into a pair of cute capris for summer. Good luck with this workout, let me know if it works, because in 3 months I will be looking for some great workout videos. P.s. I have stuck to water aerobics for the last year, and I STILL love it, so if you get bored with the video and need to get out of the house, come join us as the rec center and come swimming!!!

The Robbins said...

Oh my heck Ames, you are hilarious!!! I too can sympathize with everything you said about not being a size 2, not having to really worry about your size, and then haveing a kid(s) and it all goes to pieces! I think it is to humble us, but really, we have a kid, isn't that humbling enough?? :) I just joined a gym...and I am soo out of shape. I probably look hilarious trying to run on the treadmill, cause I can only run like 20 feet. But, oh well....good luck in your endevours!

Hanne and Fam said...

It's funny, cuz the other day when Dirk and I saw you at Best Buy I told him how great I thought you looked! I totally know what you mean by not wanting to go to the gym. I prefer working out in my basement where only my kids can make fun of me! I'm not very coordinated. I can't believe you have been able to kick the soda addiction. Can you give me your motivation cuz that is something I am still working on! Good luck on reaching your goal!

Parker Family said...

You are too funny, made me laugh!! I, too, don't think you look bad at all, BUT it is nice to feel in shape, helps you feel good about yourself. You are starting at a good time too, you will be looking great by summer!! Maybe I should get into shape too!!

Kylie said...

Ha ha! I loved reading your post. I personally think you looked great at the Christmas Party (when I saw you last), but sometimes you just feel like that. I, too, feel frumpy lately. I love that spring is coming, it makes me want to get out of the house and do something, rather than stay under a blanket eating yummy desserts! I wish you all the best of luck with everything. And I'm curious to see how the Biggest Loser DVD works. Let me know!

Hobbs Family said...

lol you are so funny, I've always thought you looked great!! But I totally understand, it doesn't matter if people tell you how great you look if you don't feel it yourself. Well good luck to you I know that you can do it!!

The Wolfley Family said...

Wow! Looks like you hit a nerve with everyone! For the record, you are way too cool to be frumpy! Kudos on the no soda thing -- maybe some of that determination will actually rub off on some of the rest of us ....

Cami said...

I'm with ya Amy! I started my hardcore working out/eating better this week... I have my goal to work hard until school is out (so 6 weeks) and then see where I'm at and continue to work harder before I go home this summer so that I will be COMFORTABLE living in my bathing suit at the beach!

Cami said...

Oh yeah... plus we gotta be ready for our bike race!