Monday, June 8, 2009

Blast From the Past (Part 1)

So, the other day I was reminiscing with a friend about the brilliant fashion and trends from the 80's. Oh! We had a great time thinking about the stupid things we wore and all the trends we wanted to follow! Here are a few of the trends that I indeed represented (and sometimes wish upon a star that they would come back!)....


This one is hard to see....but I'm sure you all remember the "skill" involved with pegging your jeans? Ya, I did that!

This one I could handle coming back, although my biker shorts underneath my skirt never looked this scheik.....never!

What little girl didn't have jelly shoes?? And do you remember the open sores on your feet from these damn shoes? No? I do!

Let's all have a moment of silence for the "hammer pants". I remember real tears streaming down my cheeks sitting in the car in ShopKo's parking lot begging my parents to let me have a pair! Um...yes, I won. And no, I don't want to talk about it.
That's right girls! Banana Clips!
Now let's discuss some of the fantastic shows that caused us to follow these trends. Here are a few of my favorite shows from the 80's.
Punky Brewster.
Do any of you remember how cool her bed was? It reclined and tilted.....oh so jealous!
Kids Incorporated...K-I-D-S. I'm not sure of the exact moment of my nervous breakdown as a child. It was either when I found out that WWF was fake, or when I found out the kids on Kids Inc were lip syncing. That was a very.very.bad.day!
Perfect Strangers.

And here are a few of the guilty pleasures I entertained in my high tech cassette player.

Pc Quest.
Not many people enjoyed the music of this group. But I had many a night laying in bed dreaming of one of them serenading me!

Rick Astley. Never gonna break your heart. Never gonna say goodbye. Never gonna tell a lie. Or hurt you! Who knew he was a white guy??? And did I care? Umm...no!

So, now you are all free to judge me! Judge away! But I'm sure there are a few of you out there that would love to devulge a few of your favorite memories of the 80's!

9 comments:

Mary said...

Holy cow! Did we grow up in the same household! I am with you on every single one of those! I even had the PC Quest tape: "Can't you see, this is all a big mistake!" Man, I love that song. Does it get better than Punky Brewster? NO!!! Abbie found an old banana clip just two days ago in my drawer and was very curious about it, and she actually has some jelly shoes that hurt her feet but she still has to wear them because she loves them so much!

Hawks Family said...

Ah, the memories. And you weren't the only one to do some of those crazy things.

Hayley said...

I'm laughing so hard. I loved each and every one of those shows, and miss them just a little.

What about the super neon shirts with the little ties on the side? The bangs. The bangs. The bangs.

Stacey Irwin said...

LOL! oh'man. Well The biker shorts under the mini skirts ar back in fashon.. I haven't decided if this is good news or not... it's better then seeing fatty legs and undies right?
So hare leg warmers.( yikes.)
I so loved Kids in-corp. I always wanted to be Stacey not only she was cute but she had my name. ( what lip syncing? I won't believe it!!)
That was so fun. what a trip.
I pity you and your hammer pants. the one thing I don't think I had. ( if I did.. I must be surpressing the memory.)
This rocked lou!

Kylie said...

Ha ha! I loved reading this. My first thought reading your post was the jellie shoes and getting those funky sun tans on your feet while wearing them. I LOVED Punky Brewster.

The Rigbys said...

I loved Kids Incorporated! Good times!

Melissa Hernandez said...

oh wow that brought back some great memories!! I think my coolest outfit in the 80's was my neon biker shorts with my neon t-shirt with the plastic shirt clip on the side....oh so hot!!!

Anderson Avenue said...

Hey Amy! I just saw your blog on Ann's and thought I would say Hi. I am laughing out loud as I sit at my computer at work! Gotta love the 80's. If you want to check us out just sent me an e-mail. angienielsen1@hotmail.com and I will send you an invite! I hope you don't think I am a blog stalker!!

The Wolfley Family said...

You crack me up! I don't even care to admit how many of those bad 80's trends I participated in. Let's just say that we all know how overboard my mom can get! We reveled in it!
Where's part 2?