Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lovin' our Ducks!

We are having so much fun with our ducks! They are possibly one of the greatest pets I have ever had! Incredibly low maintenance, and so fun to watch play! We have had them for a week now and they have almost doubled in size! If it's possible I think they are even cuter now than when they were babies! They look more like ducks instead of chicks. We now let them just roam the yard and they are getting more and more used to us. They don't get scared as easily. They keep "running away" to our neighbors yard but they always come back! I guess they have kind of turned into a neighborhood pet since everyone enjoys watching them.



Simon likes to chase them around, and then they turn around and chase him. It's pretty funny!

They like to play in the water so I let Simon have at it with the hose. I'm pretty sure he had more fun than they did! A lot of people have inquired about this duck as a pet thing...I highly recommend it! They eat very little (we just get grain from IFA). They actually eat the bugs in your yard (that's the main reason I got them, so they would eat the bugs that are eating my plants!) and their poop fertilizes the yard. Surprisingly it's not too messy (the poop that is). Just hose it down! They for the most part stay put in the yard, and if they do wander off they always come back to eat. If any of you have any questions let me know! They are sooooo fun!!!!

13 comments:

Mindy said...

I think I want ducks now. Thanks a whole lot. I was decidedly a non-pet person and now I really really know that I NEED ducks.

Email me, Amy.

Stacey Irwin said...

they eat bugs eh? that's tempting.. But my dog would probebly just eat the ducks.. so I'll you to being he "duck lady" ( you know that's what the neighbors will be calling you!)
They are cute tho' I'll ask you again when they are full size. ( although the bug thing would be worth it. and that poop would be easier for me to deal with.. (I'm so poop sensitive.. ) I've missed ya!

Caesy Jade Smith said...

HI amy!!i think i need to beg my mom to by me ducks!those are so flipin cute!!love ya!bye.

Parker Family said...

How fun! Sounds like they are very low mainentance, and a great babysitter for kids, keeps them busy! Good for you!

Hawks Family said...

How fun! I think the ducks are the cutest and I love how Simon plays with them so well.

Kylie said...

Who knew, I guess I never did, that ducks would be so fun to have as pets! How cute.

Hayley said...

They really are such cute little things!

Hobbs Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hobbs Family said...

Oh I want some ducks! well I have a question, do you think that dogs eat ducks?

Melissa Hernandez said...

How fun is that! I need a yard that is all my own and then I can buy some ducks, they are so cute!

Heidi Kjar said...

This is so fun. I want ducks too.
I guess I didn't realize you can just go buy some ducks!

Amber said...

So, I was going to tell you that ducks eat grasshoppers, but you already knew that! My mom and I were just discussing it this weekend. She wants to borrow her neighbor's duck because she has a serious grasshopper problem. I have to say, hearing from you that their poop doesn't make much mess has sold me on the idea. When I get my own yard I'm getting some ducks!

Brittney said...

Amy! So I found Rachel's blog which led me to yours! Sweet! :)